Home     About Me     Recipes     Sources Of Inspiration     Links     FAQ     Contact Me     My Secrets

Heart Shaped Box Of Chocolates - Made With Cake!

Wednesday, February 15th

I’m having a tough time getting good quality photos to post, since the only camera I have is the one on my cell phone; and an old cell phone too! But still, I’ll share them anyway. This idea was inspired by Bakerella; a heart shaped box of chocolates, made with cake. It’s a 6 inch chocolate cake, filled and frosted with chocolate buttercream. I covered the top with red fondant, then cut a strip about ½ inch taller than the cake and wrapped it around the bottom. This created the space for the “chocolates” to sit, which were actually cake pops (minus the lollipop stick). I used the little bit of fondant I had leftover to decorate the tops.
Of course, every cake I’ve made has posed at least one challenge. Frustrating at the time, but in hindsight I’m grateful because this is how I learn what to do (or not to do) the next time around. The biggest struggle with this one was the fondant. So much food coloring has to be used to achieve that rich red color, which breaks it down and makes it difficult to work with. But after adding a bit of water and Crisco, and spending some extra time kneading it, I was able to get it to come together. As far as what to do differently next time? I’m not sure to be honest. I’ll have to do a little online research. Any suggestions?

I hit another snag with the candy melts that I used to cover the cake pops. I wanted to use both light and dark cocoa melts for a contrast of color. I covered half the pops with dark chocolate, and then used white icing color to try to lighten up a second batch. It instantly seized up and was useless! I didn’t have time to run to the store for light cocoa melts which wasn’t a complete disaster since I had enough finish the cake. Unfortunately the end result was chocolates that were all the same color. Oh well. Another lesson learned!



No comments:

Post a Comment