Home     About Me     Recipes     Sources Of Inspiration     Links     FAQ     Contact Me     My Secrets

Time to bake!

Thursday, January 12th, 2012

I was able to sketch out the baby shower cake and I think it’s going to look really cute! The nursery colors are mostly pink and brown, with accents of pale green, and my cake is going to match. I'll decorate it with fondant and gum paste flowers and butterflies, which I'll make on Saturday.
So today I’m baking the cake. I try to do as much as I can in advance, not only to make it as stress free as possible, but also to avoid potential disaster. I once waited until the morning of the event to do my baking and unbeknownst to me, the city was working on the water. No water to wash my hands! I was able to get a gallon of water at the store and it all worked out well, but it made me think – what if a storm hit and the power went out? I wouldn’t suggest baking too far ahead of time since it would affect the quality, but a few days prior to the event is fine because I’ll double wrap the cakes in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer.
In order to please both the chocolate and vanilla lovers I’ll be making a four layer cake, alternating between a rich dark chocolate and a vanilla cake. I’m making a total of four cakes; two 9 inch chocolate cakes and two vanilla. I’ll fill the pans less than half full so I don’t end up with too tall of a cake. I’ll be doing this in two batches because I don’t want to overcrowd my oven, which results in uneven baking. Lesson learned from a previous experience! I’ll post the recipes I use tomorrow. Time to put on my apron and get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment