Home     About Me     Recipes     Sources Of Inspiration     Links     FAQ     Contact Me     My Secrets

Chocolate and Vanilla Cake Recipes

Friday, January 13th, 2012

As promised I’m posting the recipes I used for the chocolate and vanilla cakes I baked yesterday. These are slightly tweaked versions of recipes I’ve used in the past so I’m a little nervous about the outcome. I tasted the batter and it was delicious, but I won’t know about the texture until I sample the scraps when I level the cakes tomorrow. The two recipes use different types of flour, one with all purpose and one with self rising. I was curious to see if there would be a difference in how the two turned out. (No noticeable difference as far as I could see). Anyway, I have yet to find the perfect cake recipe, so I find myself making small adjustments with every one I make. One day I’ll hit the jackpot and find the ideal combination, but until then I’ll have fun experimenting!

Rich Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (15.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, at room temperature
1/2 cup brewed coffee, at room temperature
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease three 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. (See my FAQ page for my fail proof method to prevent cakes from sticking). In a large bowl, whisk the sugar with the flour, cocoa powder, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and coffee. Using an electric mixer, beat half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients at low speed, then scrape down the bowl. Beat in the remaining wet ingredients on medium speed for approximately one minute. Be careful not to over mix.
Pour the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat onto counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles. This will help you have a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, until the cakes are springy to the touch. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out to cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator if using within two days, or freeze for up to one week.

Vanilla Cake
Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (room temperature)
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs (room temperature)
3 cups of sifted self-rising flour
1 (15.9 oz.) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup of whole milk (room temperature)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring 
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease three 9 inch cake pans and line with parchment paper. (See my FAQ page for my fail proof method to prevent cakes from sticking). In a medium bowl, combine flour and pudding mix; set aside. Using a mixer, cream butter until fluffy.  Add sugar and continue to cream for about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added.  Add half of flour and pudding mixture then half of the milk to creamed mixture. Mix well then scrape down bowl. Repeat with remaining flour/pudding mixture and milk; mix until combined.  Add vanilla and butter flavoring until just mixed. Divide batter equally into three cake pans. Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat onto counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles. This will help you have a more level cake. Bake for 25 – 28 minutes, until done. Let the cakes cool in the pans for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out to cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator if using within two days, or freeze for up to one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment