Home     About Me     Recipes     Sources Of Inspiration     Links     FAQ     Contact Me     My Secrets

Pumpkin Bread

Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I hit the driving range yesterday and was finally able to use the golf clubs that I received for my birthday in August. What took me so long? Other than that, the majority of my weekend was spend cleaning and organizing my kitchen. While clearing out my pantry I came across a can of packed pumpkin left over from the holidays. Hmm... Pumpkin Bread? Yep! What better way to spend a cold afternoon than by filling the house with smells of cinnamon and spice?

Those of you who know me know that I'm not a fan of typical breakfast food. I don't like eggs, don't drink milk which makes cereal out of the question, and oatmeal? You couldn't pay me enough. However, a warm slice of Pumpkin Bread slathered with softened cream cheese is oh so perfect with a cup of coffee! Here's how I made it - 



Pumpkin Bread 

Ingredients:

1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice



For Strudel Topping -

Ingredients:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. (See my FAQ page for my trick to preparing a non-stick pan). In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, oil, eggs and sugar. I use a stand mixer for this, however you can also mix by hand. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add to pumpkin mixture, one third at a time, until thoroughly combined. Be careful not not over mix. Pour into prepared pan and set aside.

To make the strudel topping, combine all ingredients with a fork until mixture resembles large crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter, staying away from the edges. (Strudel topping sticks easily to pan). Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until top springs back when pressed. Allow loaf to cool in pan for 15 minutes; run knife around edge and turn out onto counter or wire rack. Cool an additional 15 minutes before serving. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for longer storage.





No comments:

Post a Comment