Home     About Me     Recipes     Sources Of Inspiration     Links     FAQ     Contact Me     My Secrets

Marshmallow Fondant

Monday, January 9th, 2012


I’m super excited about a request that I received over the weekend - A chocolate and vanilla cake for a baby shower, covered in pink fondant and decked out with flowers and butterflies. Adorable! The shower is this Sunday, so today I need to get the fondant made. Marshmallow fondant is the only fondant I’ve ever used so I don’t know how it compares to others. Once I figured out how elements such as heat and moisture affect the consistency it’s worked out well. I thought I’d share my recipe. I’d love to hear your feedback if you give it a try! Have fun!

Ingredients:

1 (16 oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
1 (2 lb.) bag powdered sugar
2 – 4 tablespoons water
Approximately 1/3 cup Crisco shortening

Directions:

Combine marshmallows and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave safe bowl that has been greased with Crisco. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Total cook time is approximately 2 ½ minutes. Generously grease counter top with Crisco. Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar to the marshmallow mixture. Pour the rest of the powdered sugar in a circle on the greased counter top. This will help keep the melted marshmallow mixture from running all over your counter. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the circle. Grease your hands (front and back) with Crisco and Start working the mixture together with your hands. Knead the mixture like you would bread dough, adding Crisco to your hands as needed to keep them from sticking. If the mixture seems dry and tears easily, add 1/4 teaspoon of water and knead until the mixture forms a smooth, elastic ball. Total time kneading is approximately 8 minutes. Cover fondant with a generous coating of Crisco and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Store in a Ziploc bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Fondant can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment